Make a Flag Book Tutorial
A flag book is a funky mini album to make. Artists actually create noteworthy pieces for exhibitions and stuff... We have a put together some easy to follow instructions to make a 3 layered flag book (at least I hope they're easy to follow - let me know via the contact form if it is not so simple to make)
Note that the pages (or flags) on this album are only 4 3/8" x 2 " which is quite small. You might be hard pressed to fit photos on each of the pages, see the hints below for some useful ideas for this size mini. I am going to use this book as an ABC album for my daughter. She will cut out pictures and paste them into the book.
Experiment with size
A 5"x8" book would be a great size for a photo mini album. With two layers of flags your pages will be around 5"x4" in size which would be great to work with. Experiment with the size of your mini albums and find something to suit your needs.
- 2 pieces of 4½" x 6¼" chipboard (front and back covers)
- 2 pieces of patterned paper 5½" x 7½" (to cover the front and back covers)
- 2 pieces of 4¼" coordinating papers (Inside of both covers)
- 1 strip of 6" x 6" (book spine)
- 15 pieces of 4 3/8" x 2 " cardstock (the flags or pages)
- 1 piece of 26" ribbon (closure)
- Paper trimmer, Adhesive (I used a glue stick and double sided tape)
Step by Step Directions
Prepare the covers
Take One of the chipboard covers and one of the 5½" x 7½" patterned papers. Adhere the chipboard cover to the center of the patterned paper with a glue stick.
Miter the corners of the scrapbook paper with a craft knife.
Score along the fold lines of the side flaps with a bone folder or simply use your finger nail. Then adhere the flaps down with a glues stick.
Repeat for the second cover and set both covers aside for the moment.
Making the spine of the book
Take the strip of 6"x"6" card stock and score a vertical fold line every ½" along the length.
Fold the strip of paper accordion style until you form the spine of the album as per the picture here.
Adhere the spine to the front cover as pictured here.
Take note that the valley cover is attached to the valley fold of the accordion spine.
Take one of the 5½" x 7½" coordinating paper pieces and adhere it to the inside cover.
Repeat steps five and six to adhere the back cover to the book spine.
You should have something that looks something like this.
Attaching the Flag Pages
Stick your pages to the spine. The pages on the top and the bottom will be attached to the left sides of each accordion fold
Note. I used double sided tape to adhere the flags, it was a bit tidier than glue.
The middle pages will be attached to the right side of each accordion fold.
Attach all the pages or flags until you have used all 15. There should be 5 flags on each row.
Embellish your flag book as you wish.
- Increase the number of folds to the accordion spine to add more pages.
- Use different coloured flags for each row.
- Experiment with the size and shape of your album.
- Make Flag books with 2 rows or more.
- You can fill your flag book with quotes, photos, memories, journalling, index photos, a story for your child, The ABC's